Monday, May 13, 2019

Batting 1.000

Somebody did a study, or maybe did a meta-analysis of multiple studies, on how physicians view their work.  We get enthused about 25% of the time, despise 25% and the broad middle takes up the rest.  What goes at each end varies a lot.  I did not like returning phone calls or reporting lab results over the phone.  I basically dreaded the phone.  I did find the residents energizing, even when exasperating.  On occasion one doing an elective with me would request a letter of recommendation for fellowship.  I never turned anyone down.  Most but not all were for Endocrinology fellowships, but if somebody was knowledgeable and diligent, the specialty did not matter if they were pursuing their 25%.

From the first in 1993 all the people I sponsored matched to a fellowship, often their top choice.  Only one ever called me a few years later to let me know of successful specialty board results, but I have seen a few at the Philadelphia Endocrine Society meetings, some as invited presenters of their fellowship research, to know that the good things I predicted for them were true.

My last letter, however, was left in limbo.  A fine second-year resident spent a few weeks sharing the office and hospital.  At the end she requested a letter which went off with the assistance of the residency office that had to guide me through the current electronic submission system.  I retired, heard nothing, and really did not think about it until last week.  Did my letters still score 100%?  I sent a note off to our program director who got back to me with the good news.  A match at one of the universities in Philadelphia.  Not endocrinology but something else of interest to her, a specialty not represented at my hospital.  Bodes well for the future.

Image result for fellowship match

No comments:

Post a Comment