Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Inundated by Covid-19

Image result for covid-19


Last time I got in on the ground floor of a new disease, AIDS, I completely missed the boat.  I saw early AIDS as a VA hospitalist, not so much as an endocrinologist, so I never really learned its management except as related to adapting endocrine drugs.

Ebola, West Nile, SARS all passed me by professionally.

Now we have a new infection, a serious one, that dominates the news.  It is far rarer than things that I really see like diabetes, hypothyroidism, opioid OD's and respiratory infections of mostly non covid-19 pathogens.  Since nobody's really an expert, most of all the President and VP, it is another chance to enter on the ground floor of a new disease.  Too many distractions for me to become more than a novice at this one too.  But at least I should be able to master the classification of the respiratory viruses and get a better grasp of epidemiology this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment