Monday, March 9, 2020

Not on Weekly Schedule

Every Sunday I outline my weekly schedule on a white board.  If it's a day ending in zero other than Shabbos, Sermo gets a notation in green marker, though not this week.  I'm just no longer interested. 

It's not the first social media that I've abandoned.  There was a great site called classmates.com, great only if free, that predated Facebook.  I reconnected with a lot of the old crowd that way, dumped en mass when a fee was added.  I used to chat with the 40-somethings every morning and some Jewish group chat in the evening.  Screeches from Abdul were worthy of mass use of the Ignore option but enough participants preferred to engage him and the site no longer was attractive.  Physicians Online introduced me to cyberspace.  They had a physicians chat or posting room.  It did not take long for it to appear as a talk radio echo chamber.  As Physicians Online became Medscape, they made a business decision to abolish the service rather than police it.

Sermo once served as a daily destination, a place to make virtual friends.  It took longer for the echo chamber to take over, but it eventually did.  My sign-in dwindled from daily to dates that end in zero but until now remained on schedule.  The new format did not help, hard to navigate, more international posters with concerns different from American physicians, and most importantly, lacking the sharp analytical minds.  Just not on this week's weekly planning.  Not interesting and really not interactive, which could take the mundane on more intriguing directions.  But they still do not charge a fee.  I'd have been gone long ago if they did.

Image result for sermo

No comments:

Post a Comment