Monday, March 2, 2020

Too Anemic

Image result for platelet donation

For only the second time in decades as a platelet donor, my willingness to provide for the chemotherapy recipients got turned down.  My first exclusion came about fifteen years ago following a stop in Belize on a cruise ship.  I stayed in the tourist area, climbed a Mayan pyramid and lifted the cap off a bottle of local beer.  If Belize had malaria, which the screeners at the blood center told me it did, I didn't come across anyone febrile.  I let the requisite time pass and resumed schedule.  While there have been a few aborted donations trying to use a single arm, I've always passed the screening until this morning.  Random tabletop Hb estimates 12.9g/dl and 12.5g/dl, below the screening cutoff of 13.  I felt fine, would probably have a higher Hb at the end since they take off plasma but return RBC but it was my first health related no go.  A second try in about 10 days.  This has been one of my prime activities for many years, recently increased in frequency after retirement, and one of the few opportunities to literally give a piece of me for the benefit of somebody unknown.  A piece of my identity that I don't want to lose.  Maybe a better result next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment